Monday, 19 December 2011

Water off a Duck's Back

Now I can see this happening for myself.....

We all know how ducks appear to be waterproof - like a car when it has been wax-polished? Well I saw that effect for myself today. Our duckies' natural oils are developing and doing what they are supposed to - waterproofing them!

I am not sure how clear the effect looks on this photo, but the little droplets stood proud when they were having their swim.


So darned sweet......


This next photo' is not so sweet. In fact it's downright scary

Trouble with ducks is they have no sphincter muscle. So when they gotta go they gotta go. And go they do. Then they are not the world's cleanest eaters, and they dribble water all down their 'chins'. Which makes their home super-messy. And it has to be cleaned out every day.

This cleaning Steve describes as a chore. To me it's a pleasure as this is when they swim and I can play with them most. But to Steve it is a nasty, dirty, smelly job. So he goes in all kitted out....

(At this point I should perhaps warn readers of a delicate nature to look away.......)

I did warn you didn't I?!
Back to the ducks.....

We think of them and the kitties all the time. Whether we are at home, or shopping or working.

Today we signed up to Booker's a cash and carry warehouse. OMG I loved it - all these BIG packs of stuff really cheap.....Bargain of the day had to be 6 x green cabbages for £2.50. Honestly. I had to read it twice to make sure it was right - £2.50. To my mind they were destined for the freezer - a good 8-10 meals' worth there. Steve, bless him, said they will be good for the ducks.

So when we were getting ready to bath them I chopped up the outer leaves of a couple of them to put in their bath water.

To say they liked it would be like saying they like water. I had to keep counting my fingers they were grabbing so frantically.....

So cabbage is a success.

Don't know how to tell Steve it could well have an effect on their innards......

I have also started sprouting some buckwheat for them. Will inform you of their verdict.....

No comments:

Post a Comment