Wednesday, 25 January 2012

In The Dog House

Self-imposed I hasten to add....

But let's start at the beginning....

I had the best night's sleep in weeks....the Man Flu seems to be clearing up and I didn't have to get up to wee.
Yes I know TMI but this is big for me.....

I can't remember if I mentioned the Pepsi Max farrago, but I don't think I did....

For the past couple of weeks I have been getting up in the night 2, sometimes 3 times. This was a lot even for me. So yesterday I sat down and tried to work out what had changed in that time, what was I doing differently?

All I could come up with was Pepsi Max. 

I allow myself one can of pop a day. Usually this is Diet Coke or Diet Pepsi. But when we found 24 cans of Pepsi Max at a great price we couldn't refuse - PM is actually my favourite.

But I have been drinking a can a day for the past 2 weeks or so.

I compared the ingredients to those of Fat Boy Coke (that was all we had) and discovered something called Phenylalanine. So I had to google it.....

Nasty stuff.

It has contra-indications with anti-depressants and can also have an effect on blood pressure. I have higher than 'normal' blood pressure, but not high enough for concern.

So I decided not to have a PM last night.

We went to bed at 10 as usual and I read until 11.30 as I had a book I wanted to finish. Put the (finished) book down (the butler did it) and thought 'shall I wee now so I don't have to wake in the night?' But realised that I did not need to....

The next thing I knew it was 10.15 am and Steve was calling me a lazy old Moo.

From that we can conclude that Pepsi Max was indeed the culprit.

BUT

Just to be absolutely positive I am drinking one tonight.

So why am I in the dog house? Self imposed or not....

I wanted to cook dinner tonight. I don't always as Steve is an excellent cook and my confidence in the kitchen isn't what it was. But today I wanted to.

I planned to do a vegetable curry. Not a proper one with all the correct spices (I come from Leicester where I believe there is an unwritten law that you have to be able to create the perfect curry) but sauce from a jar.

Catastrophe one...I reached into the cupboard to get a tin of potatoes out and all its neighbouring tins and jars made a bid for freedom. Tins and jars leapt from the shelves to the worktop to the floor taking out 2 cups of coffee that I had just prepared and the kettle.

I should have taken this as a warning.

I should have given up then.

But I didn't.

I got all the ingredients together and cooked the frozen veg.Mixed everything in our Le Creuset Pan and left it until we were ready to eat. I have to add at this point that the LC was second hand - there is no way we would (even if we could) pay £125 for one pan.

The rice was no problem - an Asian friend once taught me how to cook perfect rice every time. (One measure of BASMATI (no other will do) rice to 2 measures of water. Bring to the boil, cover and turn the heat off, leaving the pan on the ring. This works with an electric hob - cannot vouch for gas).

So at about 5.30 I put everything on to cook. Left it and came back to the PC where me and a friend were having fun with Freecycle posts. Neither of us get out much.

6.15 (rice takes about 40-45 minutes to absorb) I went back to the kitchen. There was an ominous smell. A burning sort of smell......

I hadn't taken into account just how much heat this damned Le Creuset holds.

I knew when I picked it up it was a mistake - it weighed a ton empty. But I was being pig-headed.

So my fab vegetable curry was ruined. As was the pan.

Steve came to the rescue (as he always does) and whipped up a chicken stir fry to go with the (perfect!) rice.

And I donned sackcloth and ashes.

I am feeling very cross with myself.

I have been cooking meals for more than 40 years and I let it burn.

Off to beat myself with the soggy end of something disgusting.

No comments:

Post a Comment